Microneedling / Collagen Induction Therapy
Microneedling, otherwise known as Collagen Induction Therapy, is a painless procedure to improve skin quality and health. This is achieved by the use of small, sterile needles to puncture the stratum cornea, which causes hundreds of fractionated injuries (open channels) to which your body responds with a complex repair cascade involving fibroblasts to create more collagen and elastin to repair the newly opened channels.
Benefits for your skin:
- improved pigment irregularities
- fine lines
- stretch marks
- skin laxity
This procedure works best on patient’s with thicker skin or skin that has not yet suffered thinning from the aging process. Patients with thinner skin would benefit more from laser procedures that creates injury with heat. The SkinPen was the first FDA approved device on the market. Microneedling is typically 5-7 days of downtime but can be different for each patient. PRP is a great addition to microneedling especially for patients looking for amplified collagen production.
Our staff has extensive training on the procedure and each member has been certified to perform microneedling. Your skin will be cleansed and anesthetic cream will be applied prior to the procedure to ensure comfort. There is little downtime after the procedure. We will apply antioxidant and anti-aging serums at the time of the procedure, which will be driven into the skin by the use of the open channels, and will be sealed in by use of a post-procedure calming mask. We recommend a series of 4-6 treatments, although you may begin to see improvement after one treatment. This is an effective treatment that is safe for all skin types.
Pre- and Post- Care for Microneedling Procedures
Please follow these instructions for best results.
- Notify your provider with any changes to your health history or medications (antibiotics, vitamins, supplement, etc) since your last appointment.
- Please do not wear makeup on the day of treatment on the area being treated.
- No prolonged sun exposure to your face 24 hours prior to your treatment. A treatment will not be administered on sunburned skin.
- Avoid any irritants to your skin, such as products containing retinol, benzoyl peroxide, glycolic/salicylic acids, or astringents, for at least 24 hours prior to your treatment.
- If an active or extreme acne breakout occurs before treatment, please consult your provider.
Day of Treatment
**It is important to note that healing time can vary between clients. The following represents the general recovery phases you may expect. Individual clients may experience variations from this course.
- Immediately after your treatment, you will look as though you have a moderate to severe sunburn and your skin will feel warm and tighter than usual. This is normal and will subside after 24 hours.
- Your skin may be swollen and sensitive to the touch. Refrain from touching, washing, or applying anything to the treated area for 6 hours. To minimize swelling, keep your head elevated throughout the night.
- Day 2-3: you may notice your skin is mildly red, swollen, itchy, and dry. This will continue to improve over the next several days.
- Avene Cicalfate should be purchased from Aesthetics By Eileen to not only help heal the skin but and will also help to minimize the risk of infection.
- Avene Thermal Spring Spray can be used throughout the healing process to hydrate the skin.
Immediately After Treatment
Night 1: After treatment: using clean hands, apply Cicalfate. Do not wash skin.
Day 2 AM: Cleanse skin, using tepid water, with EltaMD Cleanser. For full absorption, apply Cicalfate 20 minutes before applying SPF 30 or higher. If no plans to leave the house, no SPF is necessary. If applying makeup, use clean makeup brushes. Swelling is normal. Apply Cicalfate as much as you would like throughout the day to moisten the skin.
Day 2 PM: Cleanse with EltaMD Cleanser. Apply a generous amount of Cicalfate 20 minutes before bed. Follow these instructions days 2-7.
Day 4-7: Begin using Vitamin C in the AM. Any of the Vitamin C’s purchased in our office can be used. Also begin to exfoliate. The best method for exfoliation is to stand under running water in the shower and use your finger tips to gently massage the skin. A great exfoliant is the Aesthetics By Eileen Clarifying Brightening Polish.
What to Avoid After Treatment
- Avoid sun exposure and use a broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen of at least 30 SPF to prevent further sun damage.
- Avoid heat (hot tubs, saunas, etc) for 48 hours.
- Avoid exercise for 72 hours or while your skin continues to heal. Sweating and gym environments are harmful, prevalent with bacteria, and may cause adverse reactions.
- Avoid swimming for at least 24 hours but preferably while you skin is healing. Bacteria can enter into the newly created channels in your skin and cause an infection.
- Avoid skin irritants (see examples listed below) for 7 days post treatment.
- Products containing tretinoin, retinol, benzoyl peroxide, glycolic/salicyclic acidsA/BHA, astringents, or anything perceived as “active” skincare.
- Do not wax, tweeze, or use depilatory to the treated area for 1 week post treatment.
- Multiple treatments may be required for optimal benefits and results. Discuss with your provider.
- Notify us of any concerns (blistering, excessive or increasing redness/swelling after the first 24-48 hours, etc.).