Microneedling / Collagen Induction Therapy
Microneedling, otherwise known as Collagen Induction Therapy, is a painless procedure to improve skin quality and health. This is achieved by the use of small, sterile needles to puncture the stratum cornea, which causes hundreds of fractionated injuries (open channels) to which your body responds with a complex repair cascade involving fibroblasts to create more collagen and elastin to repair the newly opened channels.
Benefits for your skin:
- improved pigment irregularities
- fine lines
- stretch marks
- skin laxity
This procedure works best on patient’s with thicker skin or skin that has not yet suffered thinning from the aging process. Patients with thinner skin would benefit more from laser procedures that creates injury with heat. The SkinPen was the first FDA approved device on the market. Microneedling is typically 5-7 days of downtime but can be different for each patient. PRP is a great addition to microneedling especially for patients looking for amplified collagen production.
Our staff has extensive training on the procedure and each member has been certified to perform microneedling. Your skin will be cleansed and anesthetic cream will be applied prior to the procedure to ensure comfort. There is little downtime after the procedure. We will apply antioxidant and anti-aging serums at the time of the procedure, which will be driven into the skin by the use of the open channels, and will be sealed in by use of a post-procedure calming mask. We recommend a series of 4-6 treatments, although you may begin to see improvement after one treatment. This is an effective treatment that is safe for all skin types.
Pre- and Post- Care for Microneedling Procedures
Please follow these instructions for best results.
- Notify your provider with any changes to your health history or medications (antibiotics, vitamins, supplement, etc) since your last appointment.
- No prolonged sun exposure to your face 24 hours prior to your treatment. A treatment will not be administered on your sunburned skin.
- Avoid any irritants to your skin, such as products containing retinol, benzoyl peroxide, glycolic/salicylic acids, or astringents, for at least 12 hours prior to your treatment.
- If an active or extreme acne breakout occurs before treatment, please consult your provider.
What Can Be Expected
**It is important to note that healing time can vary between clients. The following represents the general recovery phases you may expect. Individual clients may experience variations from this course.
- Please do not wear makeup on the day of treatment on the area being treated.
- Immediately after your treatment, you will look as though you have a moderate to severe sunburn and your skin will feel warm and tighter than usual. This is normal and will subside after 1 – 3 hours.
- Your skin may be swollen and sensitive to the touch. Refrain from touching, washing, or applying anything to the treated area for 6 hours. To minimize swelling, keep your head elevated, especially at night.
- Day 2-3: you may notice your skin is mildly red, swollen, itchy, and dry. This will continue to improve over the next several days.
- Avene Cicalfate should be purchased from Aesthetics By Eileen to not only help heal the skin but and will also prevent any skin infections.
- Avene Thermal Spring Spray can be used throughout the healing process to hydrate the skin and help with irritation.
Step by Step Aftercare Instructions
- Night 1 after Treatment: using clean hands, apply Cicalfate. Do not wash skin.
- Day 2 AM: Cleanse skin, using tepid water, with Elta MD Cleanser. For full absorption, apply Cicalfate 20 minutes before applying SPF 30 or higher. If no plans to leave the house, no SPF is necessary. If applying makeup, use clean makeup brushes. We prefer you refrain from using makeup until your skin is completely healed.
- Swelling is normal. Apply Cicalfate and Avene Thermal Spring Spray as often as you would like throughout the day to moisten the skin. The more you apply, the better your skin will heal.
- Day 2 PM: Cleanse with Elta MD Cleanser. Apply a generous amount of Cicalfate 20 minutes before bed. Follow these instructions days 2-7.
- Day 4-7: begin using Vitamin C in the AM. Any of the Vitamin C purchased in our office can be used. Also begin to exfoliate. The best method for exfoliation is to stand under running water in the shower and use your finger tips to gently massage the skin. A great Exfoliant is the Aesthetics By Eileen Clarifying Brightening Polish.
What to Avoid After Your Treatment
- Any products that have been open for more than 6 months should not be used on the treated area(s).
- Avoid sun exposure and use a broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen of at least 30 SPF to prevent further sun damage.
- Avoid heat (hot tubs, saunas, etc) for 7 days.
- Avoid exercise for 7 days or while your skin continues to heal. Sweating and gym environments are harmful, rampant with bacteria, and may cause adverse reactions.
- Avoid swimming for 7 days. Bacteria can enter into the newly created channels in your skin and cause an infection.
- Avoid skin irritants (see examples listed below) for 5-7 days post treatment.
- Products containing tretinoin, retinol, benzoyl peroxide, glycolic/salicyclic acidsA/BHA, astringents, or anything perceived as “active” skincare.
- Do not wax, tweeze, or use depilatory to the treated area for 1 week post treatment.
- Multiple treatments may be required for optimal benefits and results. Discuss with your provider.
- Notify us of any concerns (blistering, excessive or increasing redness/swelling after the first 24-38 hours, etc).
Aesthetics By Eileen Laser & Skin Care Medical Spa 919-881-2100
Text for After Hours Questions 919-999-0233