Intense Pulse Light, IPL, or BBL, are wonderful treatments to remove solar/sun spots and age spots from any part of the body. IPL is a pulsed light system that is exceptionally effective at treating spots you wish to remove. The face, chest, shoulders, hands, and arms are the most commonly treated areas because typically these areas have been more exposed to the sun. Whether you would like to remove individual sun spots or age spots, or you have freckled areas, these treatments will give you great results in just one or two treatments. They are also great for treating skin redness, rosacea, hormonal breakouts, and ruddy complexions. Typically, signs of sun damage simply flake away after treatment, leaving clear skin that looks fresh and younger. Anesthetic cream or gel is available, but most patients find that they do not need anesthetics before using IPL. The long term effects of this procedure prove to be effective at smoothing, brightening, and giving the skin a youthful glow.
Eileen’s Experience Counts:
Photo rejuvenation has now been around for over 20 years and Eileen’s patients have had very successful results for the treatment of skin aging, sun damage, facial vessels, fine lines, visibility of pores, problematic areas of the skin, brown spots, rosacea, skin redness, and more. Each IPL /photofacial treatment is about 30 minutes. Eileen recommends 4-6 treatments for the first year then 1-2 maintenance treatments for each year following.
Measurable IPL / Photofacial Results
Eileen’s patients will also be able to track the progress of their skin’s improvement with the use of the VISIA® complexion analysis. Prior to the first IPL / photofacial treatment, each patient will receive a complimentary VISIA complexion analysis of their face to establish a baseline. Eileen also offers her patients complimentary VISIA complexion analysis throughout the patient’s treatment plan so that they can track the progress of their skin rejuvenation. Eileen recommends pairing these treatments with a personalized, seasonal skin care system for the best results!
View Before and After Photos Now>
Pre & Post Care for Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) Treatments
Please follow these instructions for best results.
- Notify your provider with any changes to your health history or medications (antibiotics, vitamins, supplement, etc) since your last appointment. They may make your skin photosensitive and therefore we may not be able to treat your skin for 1-2 weeks after completion of the medication.
- Excess hair may need to be shaved. Men should be cleanly shaved on treatment area.
- No sun tanning or self-tanners 2 weeks prior to treatment on area being treated.
- Includes spray tans, tanning lotions, tanning beds, sun exposure, etc.
- Avoid any irritants to your skin, such as products containing retinol, benzoyl peroxide, glycolic/salicylic acids, or astringents, for 1 week before your treatment.
- Avoid treatments that may irritate the skin for 1-2 weeks prior to treatment (waxing, depilatories, etc).
Day of Treatment
- Please do not wear makeup on the day of treatment on the area being treated.
- Avoid sun exposure and use a broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen of at least 30 SPF to prevent further sun damage.
- Avoid heat (hot tubs, saunas, etc) & exercise for 48 hours.
- Avoid skin irritants (see examples listed below) for 72 hours post treatment.
- Products containing tretinoin, retinol, benzoyl peroxide, glycolic/salicyclic acids, astringents, etc.
- Do not wax, tweeze, or use depilatory to the treated area for 1 week post treatment.
- Multiple treatments may be required for optimal benefits and results. Discuss with your provider.
- Treated sun spots usually darken after treatment and crusting begins to form within a few days. This crusting will begin to flake off and will resolve in 1 to 3 weeks. You may gently exfoliate with Aesthetics By Eileen Clarifying Brightening Polish on day 5.
- The treated area may have redness and swelling the first 1-5 days. This is normal and will resolve with time.
- Applying ice for 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off, taking Zyrtec daily, and sleeping elevated will help the healing process.
- Notify us of any concerns (blistering, excessive redness/swelling, etc).